How to Register Your Mobile Phone in Iran?
Last Update: 16 January 2020
These days mobile phones have a significant role in our life, and living without them is impossible since most of our daily tasks depend on them.
While traveling to Iran, you need to be in touch with your loved ones and share the best moments of your trip with them using your mobile. But, according to Iran’s National Mobile Registry Plan in October 2017, all foreigners mobile phones must be registered on the Iranian National Cellular Network. If you are planning to stay in Iran for more than a month, the moment you insert an Iranian sim card into your cellphone and turn it on, you can use it for 30 days, then it will stop working, and you need to register it before the 30-day time limit is up. It is essential to know how to register your phone after spending a month in Iran to face no problems during your journey and keep your connection with other people.
How to Register Your mobile Phone in Iran?
You can register your phone while traveling in Iran by going to some mobile operator’s shops in different parts of the country. By showing your passport and asking the attendants, they can do the process for you.
You can also register your mobile phone online. To do that, you need to go to the Islamic Republic of Iran Customs Administration (IRICA) website and follow the description. Unfortunately, the website only supports the Persian language, but we are going to explain everything here step by step.
Step one: Open this link or copy epl.irica.gov.ir/ImeiRegister in your browser address bar.
Step two: You need to click on the white box to accept the terms and policies, which tell you that each traveler can only register one phone in a year.
After that, you need to type the IMEI sim card code, which is the International Mobile Equipment Identity, in the blank space.
You can find this 15 digit number in the setting of your phone, or you can dial *#06#.
Step three: After entering the IMEI code and clicking “continue”, you can see your phone’s information, shown in the picture below. You need to make sure this information is correct and press the yellow button on the left, which means continue. If there is any problem with the information, you need to choose the “back” button on the right side of the page and fix it.
Note: If you have two or more sim cards on your phone, you can click on the green + button to add another box for entering the other IMEI codes.
Step four: On this screen, you need to fill the fourth blank first, which is about the type and the technical specification of your phone. By filling this part, the other blanks will be filled automatically, which includes your device type, brand, and model. Then, click on the continue button to go to the next page.
Step five: In this step,
- You need to choose the custom’s information in the first field.
- The second field asks for your phone number.
- You need to enter the 16 digit number given to you in the visa extension document.
- You have to enter your passport number in the fourth field.
After clicking on the “Continue” button, a security code will be sent to your phone via the number you had entered in step 5. By inserting the security code in the blank space and pressing continue, you can go to the next step.
The next page shows you all the information you have inserted and asks you to check it carefully and make sure it is correct.
If the information has any problem, you can click on the blue button in the top-right of the page and go back to the first step.
By clicking on the orange button, you can pay the registration fee. You need to enter the security numbers in the box inside the field. If you are not sure about the process or you want to cancel it, you can click on the “Cancel Payment” button, which is a red button at the bottom of the page.
After including your bank information, which contains your card number that has 16 digits, your online passcode, CVV2, and the expiration date on the next page, you can finish the payment by clicking on the green button.
After finalizing your payment, you will be redirected to the customs website (IRICA). On this page, you will receive a message stating that your payment has been successfully done. Take a screenshot from the details of this page and keep them until you are sure your details are submitted on the platform. By clicking on “Complete the Process” you will move to the next step.
In this step, you will receive a message telling you that your IMEI code has been successfully submitted. Select “Send the Information to HAMTA”
After sending your information to HAMTA, you will receive a message that your information has been successfully sent to HAMTA.
Now that your information is sent to HAMTA successfully, you will receive a text message on your phone with a link to pay 30740 IRR as HAMTA Service Fee. You can click on the link and proceed to the payment gateway or login to your account in the HAMTA platform, pay the service fee from there and get your activation code.
For getting your activation code through HAMTA platform follow these steps:
- Go to hamta.ntsw.ir and from the “Traveler’s Submitted Information” section, select “Click Here”
- At this stage, you will be able to see your mobile phone information. If everything is correct, select “Confirm and Pay” and you will be redirected to the payment gateway. Note that if you select the link that has been sent to you through text message, you will reach this page directly.
- Using your Iranian debit card, fill the fields in the payment gateway and select “Pay”.
- If the payment is done successfully, you will be redirected to the HAMTA website and a message will appear on your screen stating that your request has been done successfully. Select “OK”.
- For getting your activation code, select “See The Device’s Activation Code”.
- You will be navigated back to the “Traveler’s Submitted Information” section and can see your activation code. This 6-digit code will also be sent to your phone via text message.
How to Register Your Phone at The Customs Office of the Airport Upon Your Arrival
Every traveler can approach the customs office at the airport (or any other entry points), submit the details of their phone, pay the price and get the payment certificate from the customs office. The payable fees will be determined by the customs of the Islamic Republic of Iran based on whether it is used or brand new.
Important note: You need to have an Iranian sim card, registered under your own name and also your passport, phone’s brand and model and its IMEI. If your phone is a dual sim phone, it has two IMEI and you need to know both of them.
After submitting all of the information and paying the price, you will be handed a payment certificate. The certificate contains the following information: Traveler’s Name, Passport Number, Phone’s brand, model and IMEI. It is necessary to keep this certificate with you until your phone is fully registered in the Iranian national cellular network. The HAMTA platform will send you your activation code when they receive the data from the customs office.
Now you need to activate your phone using the activation code. In this step, by having the code, you can dial *7777#, enter number 2, which is the activation option in the list.
Then you need to enter the IMEI code as well and send it.
After that, you need to enter your phone number or choose your phone number from the list provided.
Now you need to enter the 6 digit activation code that was sent to you by the Hamta Platform.
By sending the activation code, you will receive a message to make sure your information is correct.
By confirming the information, you will receive the final message, which shows the process is successfully done, and you are free to use your cellphone in Iran without any limits.
Instead of dialing *7777# you have the option of using the Hamta website, which is a platform designed to help the registration process and to finish the registration after receiving the activation code.
By visiting the website, you need to click on the phone number option and enter your number you entered in step 5.
After selecting “continue”, you can go to the next step.
In the next step, you need to include the verification code which has been sent to you before and enter the security code. Since the code is written in the Persian language, you can ask an Iranian friend or the Termeh Travel support team to help you.
Then, choose “registering your phone” on the right column of the page and enter the information.
After receiving all the information about your phone and confirming it, your phone will be registered and ready to be used.
Important Notes For Phone Registration in Iran
- Due to the sanctions on Iran and the problems with having an international credit card, you cannot use your credit card in Iran to complete the process. In this case, you need a Persian credit card. DaricPay Tourist Card can help you with the process, and you can order it online without any difficulties.
- If you have any problems during the process of registering your phone, you can go to the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Customs Administration in person, to explain your problem. They will show you how to solve it. Another possible way to solve these problems is to contact the Termeh Travel team, which is available 24/7. They will do their best to help you.
The Islamic Republic of Iran’s Customs Administration’s office is located in Shahid Beheshti street in Tehran and can be accessed using the metro as well.
- If you are coming to Iran for the second time with the same phone, you need to register it once again.
- It is important to know that whether you use an Iranian sim card or, you have three months to register your phone from the moment you arrive in Iran and get your passport checked, but it does not mean that you have 90 days. No matter which day of the month you arrive, you will have only to the end of the third month to do the registration process.